Monday, July 16, 2007

My Passion - Cricket

I have been involved with this sport for almost 25 years now. It started at a young age when i used to play with my elder brother and his friends in our backyard in Kimberley.We play using a tennis ball and it was great fun.

When i was in Std.4 at Transvaal Road Primary School they needed a player to fill the team. My then Physical Training teacher asked if i were interested in playing. I immediately said i would. In the same breath i asked him would we be playing with a tennis ball and the answer he gave me did not take to well with me, but i ended up playing anyway. I got 1 wicket and took a blinder of a catch at mid on.

The following year,Std.5, and season i continued playing.Towards the end of the year i was invited to play trials to play tournament representing Griquas in Durban. I was selected as a batsmen with some bowling skills. We had a difficult tournament but very much enjoyable.

When i started high school it all stopped. Our high schools did not play cricket .That was very sad. We played friendly games among ourselves but that was it. I played rugby to fill the gap. Come Std.8 my cousin, Eugene Jacobs, persuaded me to start playing for Diamond Park Cricket Club.

It was difficult and a bit scary playing with older senior guys but man what a learning curve. That was the best 6 years of my life. Some of my team members have made senior provincial colours. We played some good cricket those years.Diamond Park was dis-banned a few years ago but the spirit lives on.

Some of my senior team mates that stand noticeably out, our player coach uncle Abe Williams,what a man. He made the experience of playing cricket absolutely awesome. He was an amazing swing bowler. He had time and time again baffled me in the practise nets. The others were the Moodley brothers,Mr.Daniels ,Barny Williams and last but not least Eugene Jacobs.

The my age crew consisted of Narian Tricam,our opening bowler,Nathan Goa,Nadeem Henderson,Conrad Alexander,Marcel and Ricardo Poonawassy,Findley Brooker and the Arthur twins.......man what a team we had. Later on the likes of Jason Brooker,Jason Harmse,Carlo Alexander and Riaan "Plante" Osman joined our team.Apologies to those who i have not mentioned.

Griqualand West will always be close to my heart. I will always follow their progress.They have grown in leaps and bounds over the years.

I relocated out of Kimberley in 1993 and in 1994 ended up in a place called Volksrust. From 1994 until 1997 i did not play any cricket. I started playing with Eskom in a social inter departmental night league that they were running. I played until i left in 2001. I played ,for the year i was in Middelburg ,for Columbus Stainless Crane Crew Team in their departmental league as well.

When i came to Pietermaritzburg in 2002 i started playing for Lancashire Cricket Club.This is where i learned quite a few tricks of the trade.They say "you are never to old to learn". I played and still do with young up and coming players who have played in England and really proven themselves. It feels good to be associated with a club who has such a high standard as Lancs. Thanx to all the support and acceptance that i have received from all the Lancs guys esp Frank,Lee,Vander,Bruce but to name a few.

With the looming move to Townsville i have knocked on the door of Wanderers Cricket Club. Andrew Symonds and Mitchell Johnson are products of Wanderers. It will be a new ball game for me playing there. I am really looking forward to that. I will take all that i have learnt over the years in order to make it an extraordinary playing experience.

Any comments please Email me!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey bud those were great days at Diamond Park, I remember how I used to watch the seniors play and how I always dreamt of playing for the seniors. I truly miss those days and the management team you mentioned we must applaud them for what they did for us, without them just think how much talent would have been wasted. Mr Williams was truly a legend in his own right we was like the Sir Alex Ferguson of Diamond Park pushing the boundaries all the time with the senior squad and investing a huge part of his life with the juniors. Do you remember the "Ebbies Double Wicket" tournament. They always made playing the great game of cricket fun for us. Diamond Park will always live in my Heart.